Denbighshire in North Wales, is bounded, North by the Irish Sea, East by Flintshire and Shropshire, South by Merionethshire, and West by Caernarvon. It is 48 miles long, and about 20 broad; and is divided into six Hundreds, namely, Bromfield, Chirk, Isalod, Isdulas, Ruthin, and Yale. Rivers: the Clwyd, the Conway, and the Dee. It has six Market- Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of St. Asaph, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 88,866
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
LLANGOLLEN, a market and post town of Wales, in Denbighshire, on the Dee, which is crossed here by a bridge, 27 miles S.E. from Denbigh. It is a mean-looking town, with a few narrow streets. A new town hall, comprising assembly-rooms and a market-house, and a new court-house have been recently built. Its neighbourhood, however, is much admired for its scenery. On a conical hill, not far from this town, are the ruins of Dinas Bran, a castle of great antiquity, and in the neighbourhood is the Pont-y-Cysylltan, a magnificent aqueduct, built by Telford, by which the Ellesmere Canal is carried over the Dee 125 feet above the surface of its waters. Manf: Flannels. Mar. D. Sat. P0p. 5799. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Ruabon and Dolgelly branch of the Great Western Railway.
Abenbury Fechan, in the Cwmwd of Maelor Saesneg, Cantref Uwch Nant (now called the Hundred of Maelor), Co. of Flint, North Wales; in the Parish of Wrexham. The Resident Population of this Township, in 1801, was 110. The Money raised by the Parish Rales, in 1803, was £22 10. 4, at 3s. in the pound.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Abenbury-Vechan, a township, in the parish and union of Wrexham, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, North Wales. 3 ½ miles (N. N.W.) from Wrexham; containing 124 inhabitants. On the river Clywedog, which is here crossed by a bridge, there are some iron foundries. This township is assessed separately for the support of its poor, and is the only one of the parish in the county of Flint, all the others being in that of Denbigh.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Abergele, a small watering town of Wales, in Denbighshire, 10 miles N .W. from Denbigh, a resort for invalids and sea bathers in the summer. It has a money Ord. off. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. with the parish, 3308. A station on the Chester and Holyhead Railway, 34 miles by rail from Chester. A terrible accident occurred here August 20, 1868. The Irish mail-train came into collision with some trucks laden with petroleum and took ﬁre, about 34 persons perishing in the ﬂames.