Carmarthenshire in South Wales, is bounded, North by St. George’s Channel, East by Brecknock and Glamorgan, South by Cardiganshire, and West by Pembrokeshire. It is 40 miles long, and 20 broad. The chief Rivers are the Towy, the Cothy, and the Tave. It is divided into eight Hundreds — Carnwallon, Carthinog, Cayo, Derllis, Elvett, Iskewnen, Kirkwelly, and Perfedd; it has four Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of St. David’s, and in the Southern Circuit. Population, 106,326
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- Betws (Bettws)
- Brechfa (Brechva)
- Caio (Cayo, Caeo, Cynwyl Gaio)
- Carmarthen (Caerfyrddyn, Kenarth)
- Cilymaenllwyd (Killymaenllwyd)
- Cilycwm (Kilycwm)
- Cilrhedyn (Kilrhedyn)
- Cynwyl Elfed
- Llandawg (Llandawke)
- Llandeilo Abercywyn
- Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
- Llanelli (Llanelly)
- Llanfihangel Aberbythych
- Llanfihangel Abercywyn
- Llanfihangel Cilfargen
- Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn
- Llangadog (Llangadock)
- Llangyndeyrn (Llangendeirne)
- Llangunnor (Llangynnwr)
- Llangynog (Llangunnock)
- Llanpumsaint (Llanpymsaint)
- Llansadurnen (Llansadyrnin, Llansadwrnen)
- Llansteffan (Llanstephen)
- Llanybydder (Llanybyther)
- Myddfai (Mothvey)
- Pembrey (Pen Bre)
- St. Clears (Sanclêr)
- St. Ishmael (Llanismel)
- Talley (Talyllychau )
- Trelech a’r Betws
ABERGWILLI, a town of Carmarthenshire, Wales, about 2 miles from its post town, Carmarthen. It contains an episcopal palace belonging to the see of St. David’s. Pop. with parish, 2197. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Carmarthen line of the Knighton and Central Wales Railway, which is connected with the London and North Western Railway.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
ABERGWILLY, a village and parish in the hund. of Elvet, Carmarthenshire, including the hamlets of Crug-Glass, Fyneu, Glann-Tywi, Hengil, and Ystym-Gwill. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Carmarthen and dio. of St. David’s; rated at £3 6s. 8d., and in the diocesan report at £110 17s. lOd. per annum; gross income £104. Patron, the bishop of St. David’s. The church was made collegiate in 1287 by Beck, bishop of St. David’s; but, in 1531, was annexed to the college at Brecknock. Its revenue at the dissolution was valued at £42 per annum. The Calvinistic Methodists have two churches here; one formed in 1766, and the other in 1799. View full post…
Abergwilli. or Aberguilly, a parish in the hundred of Elvet, Carmarthen, Wales, 2 miles from Carmarthen, and 216 from London; containing 277 houses and 1617 inhabitants, of whom 251 were returned employed in various trades. It stands on a small stream called the Gwilly, where it runs into the Towy. Here is the only remaining palace belonging to the see of St. David’s. The church was made collegiate by Bec, bishop of St. David’s; and by Henry VIII, was annexed to Brecknock (Leland) on account of the debauching of a young woman. It is a vicarage, value 3l. 6s. 8d. belonging to the dean and chapter of Windsor. – Pennant’s Tour.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.
Aberguilly, or Abergerlech, (Caermarth.) a pleasant village situated on a small stream called the Gwilly, which falls into the Towy. At present it is chiefly remarkable for the remains of its ancient collegiate church, and for the only palace now belonging to the see of St. Davids. This village has 2 fairs, held on the 2d and 27th of Oct. Distant from London 216 m. and from Caermerthen 12 miles.
Gentlemen’s Seats. On the right of Aberguilly is Castle Piggin, (D. Blome, esq.); and on the left is Clistandy, (R. Thomas, esq.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807.