Last updated on March 30th, 2017
Cardiganshire, a maritime county of Wales, bounded N. by the counties of Merioneth and Montgomery, E. by those of Radnor and Brecknock, by Carmarthenshire, and W. by the Irish Sea. Desc. Mountainous, interspersed with plains and mosses. Plinlimmon, 2481 feet high, is its greatest elevation. There are many valuable mines in Cardiganshire, which afford silver, lead, and copper. Cattle, sheep, and wool are the staple commodities of the county; and a large proportion of the latter is manufactured for home use. Rivers. The Teify, Arth, Claerwen, Wirrai, Ystwith, Rheidol, Towy. Area, 443,387 acres, or 693 square miles. Pop. 72,245.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Cardiganshire in South Wales, is bounded, North by Merionethshire and Montgomery, East by Radnorshire and Brecknockshire, South by Carmarthenshire, and West by the Irish Sea. It is about 40 miles long, and 20 broad. The principal river is the Tivy. It is divided into five Hundreds — Geneurglyn, Ilar, Moddyn, Pennarth, and Troedyroyr. It has five Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of St. David’s, and in the Southern Circuit. Population, P. 68,766.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.