Battle Village A view of Battle village taken from the entrance to Heol-y-Garreg looking towards Pen-y-Crug (331m) – site of an old fort – with Tyrpentre Farm on the right. The copyright on this image is owned by Dave Pinniger and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Cynog
Parish registers begin: Baptisms & Burials 1720; Marriages, 1754
Parishes adjacent to Battle
- Llanfihangel Nant Bran
- St John Brecon
- Merthyr Cynog
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
St Cynog’s Church, Battle. This is the church in Battle village, near Brecon. The copyright on this image is owned by Simon Atkin and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
BATTLE, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Yscar, 3 miles NW of Brecon r. station. Post Town, Brecon. Acres, 1,544. Real property, £1,398. Pop., 118. Houses, 30. The surface is diversified, and commands fine views. The manor belonged to the priory of Brecon. Here was the scene either of the battle between Robert Fitzhamon and Rhys ap Tudor, or the battle at the invasion of Brecknockshire by Bernard Newmarch. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David. Value, £73. Patron, Col. L. V. Watkins. The church is a low building, situated on an eminence.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Battle, 2m. N.W. Brecon. P. 176
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
BATTLE, a parish and village in the hund. of Merthyr, county of Brecon, union of Brecknock, South Wales; 3 miles north-east of Brecknock. It stands on the river Eskir, near its confluence with the Usk. Living, a perpetual curacy, in the archd. of Brecon and dio. of St David’s, not in charge, valued at £5 5s.; gross income £73. Patrons, in 1835, the representatives of J. Brown. There are a daily and a Sunday school here. The origin of the name is uncertain. By some it is supposed to have been derived from a battle fought here in which Robert Fitzhamon and Jestyn ap Gwmantslew Rhys ap Tudor, prince of South Wales, or from the invasion of the county of Brecon by Bernard de Newmarch. By others it is thought to be named after Battle in Sussex, where was the mother church of the priory of Brecon. Pop., in 1821, 183; in 1831, 192. Houses 35. A. P. £975. Poor rates, in 1837, £61.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Breconshire
- Civil Registration District:
- Diocese: St. David
- Rural Deanery: Brecon
- Poor Law Union: Brecknock
- Hundred: Merthyr Cynog
- County Court District: Brecon
- Area: South Wales