ANGLESEY, or ANGLESEA, an island and county of Wales, in the Irish Sea, separated from the mainland by a narrow channel called the Menai Strait, across which there is a suspension-bridge of the same name, and the Britannia Tubular Bridge, which forms a part of the Chester and Holyhead Rail way. (See MENAI STRAIT.) Desc. It may be described as triangular in form ; the land for the most part is not divided into fields by walls or hedges, but it is well cultivated, and yields the usual corn crops. The coasts abound with ﬁsh. Rivers or Streams. The principal are the Alam, Braint, Cefni, Fraw, and Dulas. Manf. Trifling; but its copper and lead mines, from the time of their discovery in 1768 to 1800, were the most important in the kingdom. Since that period they have declined. Towns. Beaumaris, Amlwch, and Holyhead. This island is the Mona of Tacitus, and was the last stronghold of the Druids, of whose works it has many remains. Curious stone tables are to be seen in it; and there are several remains of architectural and monumental antiquities on the coast and in the interior. Coins, implements, and arms, both Roman and British, are still occasionally found. Ext. 20 miles long and 17 broad. Area, 193,453 acres, or 302 square miles. Pop. 54.609
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Anglesey in North Wales, is separated from Caernarvonshire by the Menai Strait, and on the other side bounded by the Irish Sea; about 24 miles long, and 18 broad. It is divided into six Hundreds — Llyfon, Maltreath, Menai, Talybolion, Turcelyn, and Tyndaethwy. It has four Market-Towns; and is in the Province of Canterbury, the Diocese of Bangor, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 50,891.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.