Alltmawr. The copyright on this image is owned by Roger Cornfoot and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mauritius
Parish registers begin: Included in Llanafan Fawr
The name Alltmawr signifies the great woody mount.
Alternative names for Alltmawr:
- Alltmawr Parochial Chapel
- Dedication: St. Mauritius
- Formerly attached to Llanafan Fawr
- Service in English.
The church, dedicated to St. Mauritius, consists of a nave and chancel, both lately ceiled, and is remarkable for its diminutive size, being less than thirty-five feet in length: it stands just above the road side, and differs in its appearance from a neat cottage in no other respect than in having a small belfry near the west end of the roof.
Schools – children attend school at Llanddewir-cwm
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870
Alltmawr. a parish in Builth district, Brecon; on the river Wye, 3½ miles SSE of Builth, and 6½ SE of the Central Wales railway. Post town, Builth. Acres, 499. Real property, £272. Pop., 45. Houses. 6. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David’s. Value, £48. Patron, the Vicar of Llanavan-Vawr.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alltmaur, 2 m. S.E. Builth. P. 34
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
ALLTMAWR (ALLT-VAWR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Builth; containing 43 inhabitants. This parish, which is very small, and the name of which signifies the great woody mount, is bounded on the north by the river Wye, and is crossed by the turnpike road from Builth to Hay: the scenery on the banks of the river, and in its immediate vicinity, is exceedingly picturesque and romantic, and the view from Allt-mawr House, a pretty villa, the residence of George Holford, Esq., is one of the most delightful in this part of the principality. Its surface is, for the most part, undulating: in the low lands the soil is generally clayey, on which, or the shallow bed of loam by which it is overspread, the oak appears to thrive. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llanavan-Vawr, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; net income, £48; impropriator, Rev. Daniel Evans. The church, dedicated to St. Mauritius, consists of a nave and chancel, both lately ceiled, and is remarkable for its diminutive size, being less than thirty-five feet in length: it stands just above the road side, and differs in its appearance from a neat cottage in no other respect than in having a small belfry near the west end of the roof. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1836, amounted to £20. 15., of which £12. 10. was appropriated for the relief of the poor, £5 towards county rates, and £3. 5. for defraying incidental charges.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
- 1801: 39
- 1831: 43
- 1841: 34
- 1851: 43 (23 males; 20 females)
- 1861: 45
Civil Registration District: Builth
Diocese: St. David
Rural Deanery: Builth
Poor Law Union: Builth
County Court District:
Area: South Wales