View over Three Cocks, near to Three Cocks, Powys, Wales. The Brecon Beacons in the distance with a light dusting of snow. Andrew Jones / View over Three Cocks / CC BY-SA 2.0
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Three Cocks
Parish church: Originally St Eigon
Parish registers begin: see Glasbury
The site of St Eigon’s church stands some 50m south-east of the castle and is now barely visible in an area of open low lying riverside pasture. The precise nature and plan of the building is not entirely clear, but it is a reasonable assumption that the stone-walled ruin (some 20m by 8m) standing on the traditional site is the church. If this is the case then the church was probably a simple, two-celled building, perhaps originally a chapel to the castle, and has subsequently assumed the role of a village church though there is no churchyard. Glasbury church register records marriages and baptisms at Aberllynfi up until 1695 and it appears to have gone out of use soon afterwards, though a date as late as 1731 has been proposed1
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABERLLUNVEY, formerly a parish, but now a hamlet in Glasbury parish, Brecon; at the confluence of the Llunvey with the Wye, 4½ miles SW of Hay. Acres, 626. Real property, £2,575. Pop., 132. Houses, 23.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Aber-Llunvey, in Glasbury (Radnor), 4 m. S.W. Hay. P. 116
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842
ABERLLYVNI, or ABERLLYNVY (ABER-LLYFNI, or LLYNFI), a parish, in the union of Hay, hundred of Talgarth, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Hay; containing 125 inhabitants. This place is beautifully situated at the junction of the river Llyvni with the Wye, on the southern bank of the latter, amid the most luxuriant and richly diversified scenery. It has long since ceased to exercise the ecclesiastical rights of a parish, though they have not been transferred to any adjoining parish. The inhabitants marry and bury their dead at Glasbury, from which circumstance Aberllyvni is commonly considered a chapelry or hamlet to that parish; but they do not contribute to the church rate of Glasbury, which is the usual mark of dependence. From the will of William Vaughan, of Maeslwch, dated 1582, the advowson appears to have been the property of that gentleman, who bequeathed it to his daughter, Catherine Vaughan, together with that of Llyswen: it is also noticed in Pope Nicholas’ Valuation, separate from Glasbury, at £4. 6. 8. The benefice appears to have ceased to exist about the middle of the last century, when the church fell into ruins, and the patronage has not since been exercised: no tithes have been paid here within the memory of man. Prior to that period the church, it is presumed, was regularly served; and there are persons still living who recollect the existence of tombstones: an aged yew tree indicates the site of the building, but the whole is now covered by a small plantation of fir trees. At an adjoining farm-house there is an octagonal stone font, ornamented in its different compartments with mullets and crosses, and bearing the date 1635. Aberllyvni, with the hamlet of Vehndre, receives £6. 8. 3. per annum, arising from a bequest by Sir David Williams, Knt., for the benefit of the poor. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1836, amounted to £120. 5., of which £108. 13. was applied to the relief of the poor, £5. 5. towards county rates, and £6. 7. for incidental charges.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ABERLLUNVEY, formerly a parish, but now a hamlet, in the parish of Glasbury, Brecknockshire. Pop., in 1821, 100; in 1831, 125. Poor rates, £76
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Civil Registration District:
Poor Law Union: Hay