Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

City Road Baptist Chapel Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

City Road was opened on the 11th September, 1861, the first discourse being preached by the Rev. C. H. Spurgeon. The cost, including schoolroom, &c., was £5,000. The congregation formerly worshipped in the Pithay Chapel, the oldest in the city (built 1650, rebuilt 1719), now converted into a portion of Messrs. Fry’s factory. Source: Arrowsmith’s …

City Road Baptist Chapel Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884 Read More »

Churches Destroyed Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

The following is a list of destroyed churches and chapels which have never been rebuilt, numbering 14 :- St. Ewen’s, which stood on the site of the Council-house, in Corn street, had its chancel end in Broad street. From the east window of this destroyed church Edward IV. witnessed the procession that conducted Sir Baldwin …

Churches Destroyed Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884 Read More »

Bull Baiting Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

Bull-baiting. The love of this brutal sport lingered in Bristol as late as 1822. The bull-ring was the open space in which the Church of St. Jude now stands. The inhabitants of that locality bore the name of “bull paunchers,” and the euphonious appellation still adheres to one of its lanes. Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of …

Bull Baiting Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884 Read More »

Poor Law Management Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

Poor Law Management. The city is under three distinct authorities, viz:- The Incorporation of the Poor for the ancient city; Barton Regis Union, for the parishes of Clifton, St. Philip and Jacob (Out), and the district of St. James’ and St. Paul, and the parish of Westbury; Bedminster Union, for the parish of Bedminster. Source: …

Poor Law Management Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884 Read More »

Cocoa and Coffee Taverns Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884

Cocoa and Coffee Taverns, &c. This movement was commenced by a committee building a comfortable room for the navvies at Lovers’ walk during the construction of the Clifton Extension railway. In 43 weeks the total consumption there had been 8,927 gallons. The next step was to open a shed at the Black Rock end of …

Cocoa and Coffee Taverns Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol 1884 Read More »