South Bersted is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex.
Other places in the parish include: Shrimpney, Shripney and North Bersted.
Alternative names: Bersted, South Bersted
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes Adjacent to South Bersted
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BERSTED (South), a village and a parish in Chichester district, Sussex. The village stands 1 mile N of Bognor r. station, and 1 from the coast, and has a post office under Bognor. The parish extends to the shore, and includes Bognor and the tythings of North Bersted and Shripney. Acres, 3,008; of which 152 are water. Real property, £15,469. Pop., 3,128. Houses, 628. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicar age in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £214. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was built in 1405; consists of chancel, nave, and aisles; has a tower with large buttresses, and an obtuse shingled spire; and contains a tomb of Sir R. Hotham, the founder of Bognor. The p. curacy of Bognor is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of South Bersted
Civil Registration District: Chichester
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deaneries of Pagham and Tarring
Rural Deanery: Pagham
Poor Law Union: Sutton