Pagham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex.
Other places in the parish include: Lagness, Aldwick, Nytimber, Rosegreen, South Mundham, and Aldwich.
Alternative names: Paglesham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1707
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
Parishes Adjacent to Pagham
- North Mundham
- South Bersted
Historical Descriptions of Pagham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PAGHAM, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands on the coast 3½ miles W S W of Bognor r. station, and 4¾ SSE of Chichester; is a small place; and has a post-office under Chichester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lagness and Rosegreen; and includes the tythings of Aldwick, South Mundham, and Nytimber. Acres, 4,376; of which 280 are water. Real property, £8,859. Pop., 988. Houses, 202. The property is subdivided. Aldwick Place is the seat of B. B. Cabbell, Esq.; and the Pavilion, of Lieut Col. H. Austen. Pagham harbour penetrates between Pagham and Selsey parishes; was formed by irruption of the sea, in the beginning of the 14th century; has a narrow crooked entrance; expands to a maximum breadth of 11/3 mile, and a maximum length of fully 1½ mile; accommodates vessels of 40 tons and under, chiefly bearing coals or manure; and includes a space of about 130 feet by 30, called the Hushing well, where the water looks as if in a state of ebullition, from the rushing of vast volumes of air to the surface. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; comprises nave and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains a slab with Longobardic characters. An archiepiscopal palace stood a little SE of the church, and has left some indistinct remains. There are a national school and a coast-guard station.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of Pagham
Civil Registration District: Westhampnett
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deaneries of Pagham and Tarring
Rural Deanery: Pagham
Poor Law Union: Westhampnett