Lancing is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1591
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- New Shoreham
- Old Shoreham
- Kingston by Sea
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANCING, a village and a parish in Worthing district, Sussex. The village stands near the river Adur, and near the South Coast railway, 2 miles WNW of Shoreham; and has a station on the railway, at Lower Lancing hamlet, and a post-office, of the name of North Lancing, under Shoreham. The parish extends to the river Adur, and to the coast; and comprises 2,524 acres of land, and 738 of water. Real property, £5,878. Pop. in 1851, 828; in 1861, 950. Houses, 172. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of market-gardening, and from the erection of a redoubt, St. Nicholas’ college, and a few labourers’ cottages. The college is a school for the sons of gentlemen; was founded, in 1848, within Shoreham parish; was removed in 1858 to an eminence, with a fine view, in Lancing parish; and is a large and handsome edifice, designed to have accommodation for upwards of 350 boys. Lancing House and great part of the land belong to Col. G. Carr-Lloyd. The name Lancing may possibly have been derived from Wlencing, a son of the Saxon king Ella. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £151. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was recently repaired. There are a national school, and a coast-guard station.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Directory of Lancing 1831
GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Forbes, Captain, Lancing-terrace.
Goodman, John, Esq. Lancing-terrace.
Griffiths, Rev. C. Curate, Parsonage-house, North Lancing.
Guest, John, Esq. Lancing-terrace.
Lloyd, Colonel, Lancing House, North Lancing.
Blake, Mr. Lancing-terrace.
Carr, Mrs. Ivy Cottages.
Dabbs, Mr. Bank Cottage.
Jamieson, Mr. South House.
Neale, Mr. Lancing-terrace.
Pelling, Mrs. Myrtle Cottage.
Tindall, Mr. Ivy Cottages.
Wall, Mr. Garden Cottage.
Three Horse-shoes, W. Steele, South Lancing.
Sussex Pad, W. Leman, North Lancing.
Jones & Son, Messrs. Lancing House.
Whitney, Misses, Lancing-terrace.
Source: The watering places of Great Britain, and fashionable directory 1831.
Civil Registration District: Worthing
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester
Rural Deanery: Storrington
Poor Law Union: East Preston