Lamberhurst, Kent & Sussex Family History Guide

Lamberhurst is an Ancient Parish partly in Kent and partly in Sussex.

Other places in the parish include: Scotney Manor, Mount Pleasant.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1564
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1716

Nonconformists include: in the Sussex part - Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Frant
  • Pembury
  • Brenchley
  • Horsmonden
  • Ticehurst
  • Wadhurst
  • Kilndown
  • Goudhurst

Historical Descriptions

Lamberhurst

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAMBERHURST, a village and a parish in the district of Ticehurst, and counties of Kent and Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Medway, 4¼ miles E of Frant r. station and 6½ ESE of Tunbridge Wells; is a large place; and has a post-office under Hurst Green, a good inn, and fairs on 6 April and 21 May. The parish includes Scotney manor, and comprises 3,590 acres in Kent, and 1,700 in Sussex. Real property, £8,008. Pop. of the K. portion in 1851, 560; in 1861, 554. Houses, 115. Pop. of the S. portion in 1851, 1,174; in 1861, 1,051. Houses, 207. The property is much subdivided. Court Lodge stands on an eminence, within a park; commands pleasant views of the surrounding country; and is the seat of W. C. Morland, Esq. Scotney Castle was the seat of Archbishop Chicheley, in the early part of the 15th century; went to his collateral descendants, the Darrells; was rebuilt by Inigo Jones; and has given place to a modern mansion, the seat of Edward Hussey, Esq. Extensive iron-smelting furnaces were formerly in the parish; and they furnished the massive iron balustrades around St. Paul's in London. Brewing and brick-making are now carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £401. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is old but good, and has a conspicuous steeple. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £39.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Mount Pleasant

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOUNT-PLEASANT, a hamlet in Lamberhurst parish, Kent; 2 miles NW of Lamberhurst village.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Kent; Sussex
Civil Registration District: Ticehurst
Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester, Court of the Bishop of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes
Diocese: Pre-1845 - Rochester, 1845-1864 - Canterbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1864 - Malling, Post-1863 - South Malling
Poor Law Union: Ticehurst
Hundred: Brenchley and Horsmonden; Loxfield Pelham
Province: Canterbury