Kirdford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex.
Other places in the parish include: Hasfold-Shipburn, Pallingham, Plaistow, and Plastow.
Alternative names: Kirdford with Plaistow, Kirdford with Plastow
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1571
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes Adjacent to Kirdford
- North Chapel
- Wisborough Green
Historical Descriptions of Kirdford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRDFORD, a village and a parish in Petworth district, Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Arun, 4½ miles NE by N of Petworth, and 5 W by N of Billingshurst r. station; and has a post office under Petworth. The parish includes the chapelry of Plastow, and comprises 12,275 acres. Real property, £7,181. Pop. in 1851, 1,955; in 1861, 1,784. Houses, 342. The decrease of pop. was caused by the migration of young persons to towns. The property is subdivided. Shillinglee Park is the seat of Earl Winterton; Ifold, of John Napper, Esq.; and Ebernoe, of W. Peachey, Esq; Barkfold is occupied by Captain Barwell; and Sladeland, by J. Godman, Esq. Nearly one third of the land is under wood. A limestone of peculiar character, known as Sussex or Petworth marble, has been largely quarried, and is believed to have been worked by the Romans and the Normans. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Plastow, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £500. Patron, Lord Leconfield. The parish church is chiefly early English, and has a large tower. The church of Plastow was rebuilt in 1856. There are national schools and a workhouse; and, at the census of 1861, the latter had 34 inmates.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910
Maps of Kirdford
Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Petworth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester
Rural Deanery: Midhurst
Poor Law Union: Petworth