Jevington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1661
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Parishes Adjacent to Jevington
- West Dean
Historical Descriptions of Jevington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
JEVINGTON, a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex; among the South Down hills, 3 miles NW of Eastbourne, and 3 SW by S of Polegate r. station. Post town, Eastbourne. Acres, 2,099. Real property, £1,852. Pop., 263. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £400. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is ancient but good; has some features which are debatably Saxon or Norman; and includes, in the belfry wall, a fragment of an ancient sculpture representing the Saviour bruising the serpent's head. Charities £3, and alms-houses for 4 persons.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of Jevington
Civil Registration District: Eastbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes
Rural Deanery: Pevensey
Poor Law Union: Eastbourne