Ditchling is an Ancient Parish in the county of Sussex.
Alternative names: Ditchelling
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, General Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes Adjacent to Ditchling
- Clayton with Keymer
Historical Descriptions of Ditchling
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DITCHLING, or Ditchelling, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands near the Roman road to Pevensey, 1¼ mile E of Hassocks-Gate r. station, and 3 ESE of Hurstperpoint; has a post office under Hurstperpoint, and fairs on 6 April and 12 Oct.; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 4,183 acres. Real property, £5,901. Pop., 1,082. Houses, 220. The property is divided among a few. Ditchling Beacon is the highest ground of the South chalk downs of Sussex; has an altitude of 858 feet above sea-level; is crowned with remains of a square camp, probably Roman; and commands a very extensive and grand view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £200. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is cruciform, partly transition-Norman, partly early English. There are a Unitarian chapel, a national school, a workhouse, and charities £46. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 17, 814. Pop., 3, 948. Houses, 662.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of Ditchling
Civil Registration District: Lewes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes
Rural Deanery: Lewes
Poor Law Union: Chailey