Bognor is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Sussex, created in 1828 from South Bersted Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hothamston.
Alternative names: Bognor Regis
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1873
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1873
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes Adjacent to Bognor
- South Bersted
Historical Descriptions of Bognor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOGNOR, a small town and a township-chapelry in South Bersted parish, Sussex. The town stands on the coast, 3¼ miles S of the South Coast railway, and 6½ SE by E of Chichester. It has a governing body, under a local act; a head post office; a station with telegraph at the terminus of a railway, opened in 1864, to the South Coast line at Eastergate; and a pier, constructed chiefly of iron on the screw principle, 1,000 feet long with a head 40 feet across, opened in 1865. The town was changed from an obscure hamlet to a fashionable watering-place, between 1786 and 1799, by Sir Richard Hotham, at a cost of about £60,000; and took, for a time, the name of Hothamston. It was frequented by Queen Charlotte and her children, in the time of George III.; and it then possessed a sort of exclusive character; but it afterwards became dependent on general public patronage. It comprises rows of brick houses, two squares open on one side to the sea, a crescent, a terrace, and several detached mansions; it possesses good lodging-houses, several hotels, and excellent bathing conveniences; and it has a church of 1821, an Independent chapel of 1869, a Wesleyan chapel, a public school for 50 girls, a reading room, a circulating-library, a people’s institute, a small annual regatta, and occasional races. Markets are held thrice a-week; and a fair on 5 July. The surrounding country is flat; and the Bognor rocks, famed by geologists, and not long ago forming a line of low cliffs along the coast, are now visible only at low water. Pop. of the town, 2,523. Houses, 487. The chapelry was constituted in 1822. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £107. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. Bognor Lodge, built by Sir R. Hotham, is now the seat of Sir J. E. Harrington, Bart.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Bognor Sussex Fashionable Directory 1831 – Lists nobility & gentry, teachers, solicitors, house agents, milliners, perfumers, saddlers and other trades.
Maps of Bognor
Civil Registration District: Chichester
Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deaneries of Pagham and Tarring, Post-1845 – Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester
Rural Deanery: Pagham
Poor Law Union: Westhampnett