Sussex is bounded, North by Surrey and Kent, East by Kent, South by the English Channel, and West by Hampshire. It is 70 miles long, and 28 miles broad; and is divided into six Rapes: namely, Arundel, Bramber, Chichester, Hastings, Lewes, Pevensey. Rivers: the Arun, the Adur, the Ouse, the Rother, the Rye, and the Cockmere. It has 18 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, and partly in that Diocese, but mostly in the Diocese of Chichester, and it is in the Home Circuit. It contains 1463 square miles, or 936,320 acres. Population, 299,753.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
LEYTON, a parish and village of England, in Sussex, 5 miles N.E. from London, and included in the E. section of the metropolitan postal district. Pop. 4794. It is a station on the London, Epping, and Ongar line of the Great Eastern Railway.
Lewes, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of England, and the county town of Sussex, on the Ouse, 7 miles N.E. from Brighton. It contains several churches, some of which are of ancient date, and numerous chapels for nonconformists. It has also a free grammar-school, a county-hall, a house of correction, barracks, assembly rooms, a corn and hop exchange, theatre, library, mechanics’ institute, and a county gaol. Near this town, in 1264, Henry II. was defeated by Simon de Montfort, and imprisoned in the castle. Manf. Paper, leather, cordage, and twine; the town has also an active trade in corn and malt. Mar. D. Tues. Pop. 9716. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway, en route from Brighton to Uckfield, Seaford, Polegate, Eastbourne, Hailsham, and Hastings.