Wonersh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic.
- St Martha
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WONERSH, a parish, with a village, in Hambledon district, Surrey; on the Arun and Wey canal, 3¼ miles SSE of Guildford r. station. It has a post-office under Guildford. Acres, 4,427. Real property, £5,988. Pop. in 1851, 1,280; in 1861, 1,438. Houses, 285. W. Park is the seat of Lord Grantley; W. Lodge, of G. T. Beanchamp, Esq.; and Lostiford House, of Ede, Esq. Blue cloth for the Canary islands was once manufactured; and some brick-yards and a cocoanut matting factory were recently established. Remains of an ancient camp are on a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £187. Patron, Lord Grantley. The church is good; and there are a slightly endowed school, and charities £89.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)