Witley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Calvinist and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WITLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands near the Guildford and Portsmouth railway, 3½ miles SSW of Godalming; and has a post-office under Godalming, and a r. station. The parish includes Milford chapelry, and comprises 6,328 acres. Real property, £6,101. Pop., 1,555. Houses, 318. W. Heights, Wormley Hill, Hawthorn House, Pine Wood, and Brook are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150. Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church is early English and cruciform: and has a central tower with shingle spire. The p. curacy of Milford is a separate benefice. There are a national school, and charities £41. The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 28,157. Pop., 6,354. Houses, 1,236.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon