Weybridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1625
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WEYBRIDGE, a parish, with a village, in Chertsey district, Surrey: on the river Wey, at the junction with it of the Basingstoke canal, at its own influx into the Thames, and adjacent on the S to the Southwestern railway, 2½ miles SE of Chertsey. It has a r. station with telegraph, a head post-office near the r. station, a post-office in the village under Weybridge Station, and several inns. Acres, 1,292. Real property, £8,584. Pop. in 1851, 1,225; in 1861, 1,603. Houses, 305. The increase of pop. arose chiefly from the erection of villas and other residences, principally for London families. The manor belongs to H. Glazebrook, Esq. Oatlands Park is a great feature, but has been separately noticed. A palace was built here by Henry VIII.; but is now represented only by some gateways and some underground passages; and the old garden of it has partly been converted into a market garden and fruit-garden. There is an oil and seed-crushing mill, worked by water-power. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £320. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1848, and has a tower and spire. An Independent chapel was built in 1865, at a cost of £2,300. A Roman Catholic chapel was built by the late J. Taylor, Esq., and contains the tomb of King Louis Philippe. There are a parochial school, and charities £80.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey