West Horsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1600
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1748
- East Horsley
- East Clandon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORSLEY (WEST), a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands 3¼ miles N by E of Gomshall r. station, and 6 ENE of Guildford; and has a post office under Ripley. The parish comprises 2,993 acres. Real property, £3,135; of which £10 are in chalk pits. Pop., 706. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with West Horsley Place, belonged to Lord Berners, the translator of Froissart; passed to the Raleighs; was the favourite residence of Carew Raleigh, son of Sir Walter; passed to the family of Nicholas; and belongs now to H. M. Weston, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £317. Patron, H. M. Weston, Esq. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; was well restored in 1849; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and shingled spire; has, at the W end of the nave, a curious carving of the Nativity, found under the flooring in 1810; and contains monuments of a Berners and a Fullerton. A mortuary chapel belonging to the manor house is traditionally said to contain the head of Sir Walter Raleigh, in the same grave as the remains of his son. There are a national school, and charities £151.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford