Walton on the Hill, Surrey Family History Guide

Walton on the Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1581
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Buckland
  • Headley
  • Epsom
  • Banstead
  • Betchworth
  • Ashtead

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Reigate district, Surrey; 2¾ miles N by E of Betchworth r. station, and 4 NW of Reigate. It has a post-office under Epsom. Acres, 2,592. Real property, £2,418. Pop., 475. Houses, 98. The property is subdivided. W. Place is alleged to have been a residence of Anne of Cleves, after her separation from Henry VIII.; and is now a farmhouse. Traces of Roman buildings have been found on W. Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £346. Patron, H. Carew, Esq. The church is partly Norman, but chiefly modern. There are a national school, and charities £13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Online Records (Free)

England, Surrey Parish Registers, 1536-1992

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Surrey
Civil Registration District: Reigate
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Winchester
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Reigate
Hundred: Copthorne
Province: Canterbury