Tooting Graveney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Lower Tooting
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1555
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1684
Nonconformists include: Calvinists, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Mitcham St Peter and Paul
- Wimbledon St Mary
- Streatham St Leonard
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TOOTING (Lower), or T.-Graveney, a parish, with a village, in Wandsworth district, Surrey; 1¼ mile WSW of Streatham r. station, and 6½ SSW of St. Pauls, London. It has a post-office under London S, and a metropolitan police station. Acres, 561. Real property, £11,503. Pop., 2,055. Houses, 367. The property is much subdivided. There are many elegant seats and villas, and some extensive nursery grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600. Patron, the Rev. J. Congreve. The church was rebuilt in 1833. There are Independent and Wesley an chapels, endowed national schools, and charities £39.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Wandsworth
Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey, Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - Winchester, Post-1845 - London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 - Southwark, Post-1845 - None
Poor Law Union: Wandsworth and Clapham