Thames Ditton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1769 from a chapelry in Kingston upon Thames Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Ember and Weston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1685
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Hampton Wick
- East Molesey
- Long Ditton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THAMES-DITTON, a village and a parish in Kingston district, Surrey The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the London and Hampton-Court railway, 2 miles SW of Kingston; and has a post-office under Kingston-on-Thames, and a r. station. The parish includes Claygate chapelry and Ember and Weston hamlets, and comprises 2,865 acres. Real property, £10,256. Pop., 2,253. Houses, 454. The property is much subdivided. Claygate manor belongs to the Earl of Lovelace; and Weston manor, to Miss Speer. There are numerous good residences, inns, a brewery, and market-gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £290. Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, was originally a chapel of ease to Kingston, and became parochial in 1769. The vicarage of Claygate is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel, alms houses with £35 a year, and other charities £55.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Kingston
Hundred: Elmbridge; Kingston