Stockwell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1845 from Lambeth St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Brixton St Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Kennington St Mark
- Brixton St Matthew
- South Kennington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOCKWELL, a chapelry in Lambeth parish, Surrey; on the Metropolitan Extension railway, between Camberwell and Clapham, 3 miles SSW of St. Paul's, London. It forms a suburb to the metropolis; and has post-offices under London SW, and two r. stations. Pop. in 1861, 7,265. Houses, 1,217. The manor belonged to the Crown; and passed to the Earls of Devon, the Chutes, and the Thorneycrofts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £400. Patron, the Incumbent of Kennington-St. Mark. The church was built in 1840. There are two other churches, in the patronage of trustees. There are also three dissenting chapels, a proprietory grammar-school, national schools, and a British school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Lambeth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Pre-1846 - Winchester, Post-1845 - London
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: Lambeth