St Martha is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Chilworth, St Martha on the Hill, St Martha's
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1785
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845
- Stoke next Guildford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHILWORTH, a hamlet and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The hamlet lies N of the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Redhill railway, 2½ miles SE by E of Guildford; and has a station on the railway. The parish is called also St. Martha-on-the-Hill; and its post town is Guildford. Acres, 1,070. Pop., 168. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. St. Martha's Hill consists of sandstone; is about 600 feet high; and commands a rich and various view. Paper mills and powder mills are in the pretty vale of Chilworth, below the hill; but have ceased, for a time, to be worked. The living is a donative in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £25. Patron, Lord Lovaine. The church stands on St. Martha's Hill; and is a restored cruciform ancient chapel, which belonged to the priory of Newark.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)