Shirley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1846 from Croydon St John the Baptist Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1836
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1836
- Croydon St John the Baptist
- Beckenham St George
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIRLEY, a chapelry, with a village, in Croydon parish, Surrey; 1¾ mile E of Croydon r. station. It has a post-office under Croydon. Pop., 642. Houses, 120. S. House is the seat of the Earl of Eldon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Archbishop of C. The church is modern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - Croydon, 1845--1873 - None
Poor Law Union: Croydon