Shalford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
Nonconformists include: Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Guildford St Nicolas
- Guildford Holy Trinity
- St Martha
- Guildford St Mary
- Stoke next Guildford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHALFORD, a village and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Wey, adjacent to the Reading and Reigate railway, 1 mile S of Guildford; is a neat place, with embellished environs; and has a post-office under Guildford, a r. station with telegraph, two breweries, three tanneries, and a fair on 2 Oct. The parish comprises 2,590 acres. Real property, £6,172; of which £126 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,175; in 1861, 1,293. Houses, 266. The manors of S.-Bradston and S.-Clifford belong to the Earl of Onslow; and other manors are S.-Rectory, S.-Heath, Brabief and Tangley. S. House and much of the property belong to Sir H. E. Austen; and Gosden House is the seat of J. Sparkes, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £340. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1846. There are national schools, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)