Rotherhithe comprises the following parishes:
- Rotherhithe St Mary, Surrey
- Rotherhithe All Saints, Surrey
- Rotherhithe Christ Church, Surrey
- Rotherhithe Holy Trinity, Surrey
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROTHERHITHE popularly Redriffa parish and a district on the N border of Surrey. The parish lies on the river Thames, between the Pool and Limehouse reach, on the East London railway, on the South London line of the London and Brighton railway, adjacent to the London and Greenwich railway, and on the terminal portion of the Surrey canal, 2¼ miles S E of St. Paul's, London; forms part of Southwark borough and of the metropolis; has a station with telegraph on the South London railway, and post-offices under London SE; grew to importance around an ancient village in a marsh; was the place where Henry IV. stayed to be cured of his leprosy; suffered destruction of more than 200 houses by a fire in 1765; numbers among its natives Admiral Benbow, Admiral Sir J. Leake, and the singer Dignum; consists all of low flat ground, originally marshy; comprises about 2½ miles of river and wharf frontage; contains the Surrey canal docks, the Greenland and Commercial docks, the East Country dock, numerous ship-building yards, boat-builders' and lighter-builders' wharves, timber-basins, ordnance wharves, a mast-yard, iron-works, white-lead and saltpetre works, and many establishments of other kinds connected with commerce and manufacture; includes, in the SE, a considerable extent of market-gardens; is, in almost all its street portions, meanly built, and inhabited chiefly by sailors and working men; was ecclesiastically, as well as politically, one parish till 1840; and is now ecclesiastically cut into the four sections of St. Mary, Trinity, Christchurch, and All Saints. Acres, 886; of which 137 are water. Real property, £124,710; of which £16,337 are in the canal, and £11,722 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 17,805; in 1861, 24,502. Houses, 3,521. The living of St. Mary is a rectory, united with the chapelry of St. Paul-Globe-street, and the other three livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Winchester. Value of St. Mary, with St. Paul, £772; of Trinity, £266; of Christchurch, £330; of All Saints, £310. Patron of St. Mary, Clare College, Cambridge; of Trinity and All Saints, the Rector of Rotherhithe: of Christchurch, Hyndman's Trustees. St. Mary's church was built in 1715; is a brick structure; and contains a portrait of Charles I. and a monument of Prince Le Boo. The five churches aggregately contain 4,420 sittings; and there are an Independent chapel, two Wesleyan chapels, and a Free Methodist chapel, with respectively 200,725, and 170 sittings. The schools, in 1851, were 8 public day schools, with 1,192 scholars; 53 private day schools, with 1,063 s.; 7 Sunday schools, with 986 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 55 s. There are widows' alms-houses with £190 a year, and other charities £152. The district is conterminate with the parish. Poor-rates in 1863, £14,486. Marriages in 1863, 60; births, 857, of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 609, of which 275 were at ages under 5 years, and 12 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,160; births, 7,461; deaths, 5,037. The workhouse, at the census of 1861, had 207 inmates. See London.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].