Pyrford is a chapelry of Wisley Ancient Parish in Surrey.
Alternative names: Pirford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1665
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PYRFORD, or Pirford, a parish in Chertsey district, Surrey; on the river Wey, 2½ miles E by S of Woking r.station, and 6½ NNE of Guildford. It contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office, of the name of Pyrford-Green, under Woking Station. Acres, 1,868. Real property, £2,108. Pop., 381. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, by William the Conqueror, to the church of Westminster; went, at the Reformation, to the Crown; was given, by Elizabeth, to Sir John Wolley; and belongs now to Earl Onslow. A mansion was built here by Sir John Wolley; was long the residence of Dr. Donne; and has been taken down. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wisley, in the diocese of Winchester. The church includes some Norman and decorated portions, and has a low wooden spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey