Penge St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1851 from Battersea St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Penge
Parish church: St John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1850
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Croydon St John the Baptist
- Beckenham St George
- Norwood All Saints
- Camberwell St Giles
Historical DescriptionsAnerley Gardens with The Crystal Palace in the back ground approx 1860
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENGE, a village and a chapelry in Battersea parish, Surrey. The village stands adjacent to the boundary with Kent, to the London and Brighton railway, and to the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, near the Crystal Palace, 4 miles NNE of Croydon; includes new streets on what was formerly a common with picturesque oaks; and has a post-office, of the name of Penge, under London SE, and railway stations with telegraph, of the names of Penge-Bridge and Penge-Lane. The chapelry contains also the Crystal Palace, with its r. station, and the Anerley hotel and tea gardens, with their r. station; and it ranks politically as a hamlet of Battersea. Acres, 840. Pop. in 1851, 1,169; in 1861, 5,015. Houses, 668. Pop. in 1868, nearly 10,000. Villas are very numerous; and King William IV.'s naval asylum, the Watermen's alms-houses, and the North Surrey industrial school are here. The naval asylum is for decayed widows of naval officers, and was founded by Queen Adelaide. The Watermen's alms-houses were built in 1850, at a cost of £5,000; and comprise 41 residences. The industrial school is for the parishes north-ward to the Thames; occupies a plot of 7 acres, with farm and kitchen garden; and, at the census of 1861, had 748 inmates. The chapelry is threefold, consisting of Penge-proper, Upper Penge, and one formed in 1868. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Winchester. Value of Penge, £750; of Upper Penge, £800. Patrons of both, Trustees. Penge church, or St. John's, is a modern edifice, in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey, Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre-1846 - Winchester, Post-1845 - London
Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 - Southwark, Post-1845 - None
Poor Law Union: Croydon