Okewood, Surrey Family History Guide

Okewood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1723 from Wotton Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Oakwood

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1696
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Rudgwick
  • Warnham
  • Abinger
  • Ockley
  • Coldharbour

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OAKWOOD, or Okewood, a chapelry in Abinger, Wotton, and Ockley parishes, Surrey; adjacent to Sussex, 5¼ miles N W by N of Horsham r. station, and 8½ SSW of Dorking. It was constituted in 1853; and its post town is Ockley, under Dorking. Pop. in 1861, 703. Houses, 134. Pop. of the Abinger portion, 417; of the Wotton portion, 218.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Online Records (Free)

England, Surrey Parish Registers, 1536-1992

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Surrey
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Winchester
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Dorking
Hundred: Wotton
Province: Canterbury