Ockham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
- East Horsley
- West Horsley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OCKHAM, a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands near the river Wey, 1 mile ENE of Ripley, and 4 ESE of Woking r. station; and gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Lovelace. The parish includes a detached tract of 60 acres, surrounded by Abinger parish, 9 miles to the SSE; and comprises altogether 2,340 acres. Post-town, Ripley, under Woking Station. Real property, £3,003. Pop., 682. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. Ockham Park belonged to the Suttons; was purchased from them, in 1711, by Lord Chancellor King; belongs now to the Earl of Lovelace; has a mansion in the Italian style, and pleasant grounds and gardens; and is occupied by the Right Hon. S. Lushington. Charcoal-burning is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £248. Patron, the Earl of Lovelace. The church is partly decorated English, partly perpendicular; has an early English chancel, with E window of seven lancets, divided by pilaste of Sussex marble, with sculptured capitals; comprises nave, N aisle, side-chapel, and chancel, with W low embattled tower; and contains three brasses of the 15th century, and, in the side-chapel, full-length statues of Lord King and his lady by Rysbrach. There are a parochial club and reading room, a school for the children of agricultural labourers, a training-school for nursery-governesses, and a suite of alms-houses. The schools were founded by Lord Lovelace, and are somewhat picturesque buildings. Three distinguished Franciscans were natives of the parish, and took name from it, Nicholas de Ockham, about 1320, a commentator on Peter Lombard; John de Ockham, about 1344; and William de Ockham, the founder of the Nominalists, and known as "the invincible doctor."
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford