Morden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Mordon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1634
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
Parishes Adjacent to Morden
- Mitcham St Peter and Paul
Historical Descriptions of Morden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORDON, a village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands 1¼ mile SW of the river Wandle, 1½ SSW of a station of its own name on the Wimbledon and Croydon railway, and 5¼ WNW of Croydon; and has a post office, under Mitcham, London S. The parish comprises 1,422 acres. Real property, £5,039. Pop., 654. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to Merton abbey, and belongs now to R. Garth, Esq. Mordon Hall was formerly the manor-house, and is now a school. Mordon Park, Mordon Hill, Mordon Lodge, and the Rectory are chief residences. Snuff-mills are on the river; and a large brickfield was lately opened on Mordon Common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £353. Patron, R. Garth, Esq. The church was rebuilt of brick in 1636; has stone decorated windows, which probably belonged to the previous church; has also an embattled tower; and contains some brasses and monuments. There are an endowed school with £36 a year, an endowed Sunday school with £30, and charities £29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Maps of Morden
Civil Registration District: Croydon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Croydon