Mickleham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1679
- Brockham Green
- Great Bookham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MICKLEHAM, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, adjacent to the Leatherhead and Horsham railway, 2 miles S by E of Leatherhead; was known at Domesday as Micleham; is a pleasant place, with charming environs, under Box hill; and has a post office, under Dorking. The parish contains also the hamlet of West Humble, and includes part of the chapelry of Ranmore. Acres, 2,849. Real property, £5,965. Pop., 721. Houses, 130. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Bishop Odo. Norbury Park was held, in the time of Edward II., by the family of Husee, under the Earls of Gloucester; passed to the Stedolphs, one of whom received Evelyn here "among his goodly walks and hills shaded with yew and box;" went afterwards to Anthony Chapman, Esq.; was sold by him in 1774 to Mr. Lock, the friend of Madame D'Arblay; and belongs now to T. Grissell, Esq. The mansion stands on the summit of a lofty eminence, commanding rich views of hill and dale; includes portions built by Mr. Lock, and adorned by the painters Barrett, Cipriani, Gilpin, and Pastorini; and was mainly rebuilt in 1849. Juniper Hill is the seat of W. H. Lambton, Esq.; Juniper Hall, of Miss F. Beardmore; the Grove, of E. Arnold, Esq.; Mickleham Hall, of J. Smith, Esq.; Belldawe House, of E. Smith, Esq; Cleveland Lodge, of J. Johnstone, Esq.; and Burford Lodge, of J. Matthews, Esq. Box hill rises to an altitude of 445 feet above the Mole's level; is steep and verdurous on the N side, and covered with box-trees on the W; commands a splendid view to the Sussex downs and to the N of London; and is much frequented, in summer, by picnic parties. Several curious hollows, called Swallows, and evidently communicating with the Mole, are in the neighbourhood of the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £440. Patrons, Misses Talbot. The church is chiefly transition Norman; was restored, but at the same time defaced, in 1823; has a low massive square tower with spire, and a remarkable chancel-arch; includes a cross-aisle and a "Norbury'' or N chancel; and contains an oak screen dividing the chancel from the nave, a richly carved oak-pulpit, an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VIII., and some brasses. There are a national school, alms houses, and charities £4. The alms houses were rebuilt in 1865; consist of a centre two stories high, and two wings; contain accommodation for eight families; and adjoin, and harmonize with, the national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Dorking