Merrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
- St Martha
- Stoke next Guildford
- West Clandon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MERROW, a village and a parish in Guildford district, Surrey. The village stands under downs of its own name, 2¼ miles ENE of Guildford r. station; and has a post office under Guildford. The parish comprises 1,608 acres. Real property, £2,394. Pop. in 1851, 278; in 1861, 363. Houses, 69. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of several good houses. Part of the land was once royal demesne; and most belongs now to Earl Onslow. A large portion is open down; and one part has Guildford race course, long disused. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £250. Patron, Earl Onslow. The church was rebuilt in 1842; consists of nave, S aisle and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains the burying-place of the Onslow family. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Guildford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Guildford