Malden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey. Chessington is a chapelry of Malden.
Alternative names: Malden with Chessington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1676
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1685
- Surbiton St Mark
- Long Ditton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MALDEN, a village and a parish in Kingston district Surrey. The village stands on Hogs-Mill river, near the Leatherhead branch of the Southwestern railway, 3 miles SE of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a post office under Kingston, and a station, called Worcester Park Station, jointly with Coombe, on the railway. The parish comprises 1,272 acres. Real property, £1,986. Pop., 320. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. A college, afterwards removed to Oxford as Merton college, was founded here in 1264, by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Chessington, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £417. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church was partly rebuilt in 1610; retains portions of earlier dates; comprises nave and chancel, with W tower; and a N aisle, added in 1866.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Kingston