Leigh Surrey Family History Guide

Leigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1579
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1717

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Holmwood
  • Buckland
  • Charlwood
  • Capel
  • Reigate St Mary Magdalene
  • Brockham Green
  • Newdigate
  • Betchworth
  • Horley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LEIGH, a village and a parish in Reigate district, Surrey. The village stands on an affluent of the river Mole, 3 miles SW of Reigate r. station; and has a post-office under Reigate. The parish comprises 3,710 acres. Real property, £2,930. Pop., 506. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Leigh Place was the ancient seat of the Ardernes; belongs now to the Dendy family; has been much altered, yet retains features of antiquity; and is still engirt with a moat, crossed by narrow bridges. Mynthurst is the seat of J. W. Freshfield, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £146. Patrons, the Trustees of the late R. Dendy, Esq. The church is later English; was recently restored; and contains fine brasses of the Ardernes. There are national schools. Ben Jonson is said to have been a resident.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Online Records (Free)

England, Surrey Parish Registers, 1536-1992

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Surrey
Civil Registration District: Reigate
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Winchester
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Reigate
Hundred: Reigate
Province: Canterbury