Parishmouse - Surrey

Surrey

Surrey is bounded, North by Middlesex and part of Bucks, from which it is separated by the Thames, East by Kent, South by Sussex, and West by Berks and Hants. It is about 37 miles in length, and 27 broad. The Hundreds are, Blackheath, Brixton, Copthorne, Effingham, Elmbridge, Farnham, Godalming, Godley, Kingston, Reigate, Tanbridge, Wallington, Woking, and Wotton. Rivers: the Thames (by which it is bounded on the north), the Wey, the Mole and the Wandle. It has 13 Market- Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, chiefly in the Diocese of Winchester, but partly in that of Canterbury, and it is in the Home Circuit, and contains 758 square miles, or 485,120 acres. Population, 582,678.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Surrey Towns & Villages