Horsleydown St Mark is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1844 from Southwark St John Horsleydown Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Southwark St Mark Horsleydown
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
- Southwark St Olave
- Southwark St John Horsleydown
- Tower of London
- Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen
- Bermondsey St Paul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORSLEYDOWN, a parish and a sub-district in Southwark-St. Olave district, Surrey. The parish forms part of the metropolis; lies on the Thames below London bridge, near London bridge r. station; and has a postal pillar box under London, SE. It was separated from St. Olave in 1732; it bears the name of H. ST. John; and it includes a chapelry constituted in 1844, and called H. ST. Mark. Acres, 69 of land, and 25 of water. Real property, £49,380. Pop. in 1861, 11,393. Houses, 1,445. Pop. of the part within H. St. Mark, 2,920. Houses, 369. The living of St. John is a rectory, and that of St. Mark is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Winchester. Value of St. J., £350; of St. M., £130. Patron, of St. J., the Lord Chancellor; of St. M., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of St. John was one of fifty new churches built about 1732; and it has the remarkable feature of a spire surmounted by an Ionic column. The district workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 327 inmates. The subdistrict is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: St Olave Southwark
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Post-1844 - London, Pre-1845 - Winchester
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: St Olave
Hundred: Southwark Borough