Horsell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Knaphill.
Alternative names: Horshill
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.
- Woking St Peter
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORSELL, or HORSHILL, a village and a parish in Chertsey district, Surrey. The village stands near the Basingstoke canal, 1 mile WNW of Woking r. station, and 6 SSW of Chertsey; and has a post office under Woking station. The parish includes part of Knaphill village. Acres, 2,890. Real property, £3,912. Pop., 788. Houses, 140. The property is subdivided. There are good nursery grounds, and interesting rows of gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £83. Patrons, Three Landowners. The church consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with embattled tower; has pointed arches resting on octagonal pillars; and contains monuments to Sir John W. Rose and James Fenn, Esq., and several fine brasses. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey