Holmwood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1839 from Dorking Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Brockham Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLMWOOD, a tything in Dorking parish, and a chapelry in Dorking and Capel parishes, Surrey; on the Dorking and Horsham railway, 2 miles S of Dorking. They have a post office under Dorking, and a r. station. The chapelry was constituted in 1839. Pop. in 1861, 1,211. Houses, 240. Pop. of the Dorking portion, 1,061. Houses, 211. Holmwood common was anciently a chase of the Earls of Warrene; was noted, in holly bushes; and has pleasant and varied views. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1838; was afterwards altered and enlarged; acquired a new S aisle in 1862; and contains monuments of the Larpents and the Cazalets.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Dorking
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Dorking