Herne Hill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1845 from Camberwell St Giles Ancient Parish and Lambeth St Mary Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845
- Norwood St Luke
- Clapham Holy Trinity
- Denmark Hill
- Brixton St Matthew
- Streatham Christ Church
- Camberwell St Giles
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HERNE HILL, a suburb in Camberwell parish, and a chapelry partly also in Lambeth parish, Surrey. The suburb lies 4 miles S of St. Paul’s, London, and has a station with telegraph on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and a post office under Dulwich, London S. A railway from it to Wimbledon and Kingston was opened in May 1869. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 911. Houses, 131. Pop. of the Camberwell portion, 177. Houses, 29. The property is much subdivided. The houses are mostly villas, occupied by London merchants. Casino House is a fine mansion, with extensive grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £500. Patron, W. Stone, Esq. The church was built in 1844, burnt in 1858; was restored afterwards at a cost of £7,000; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Camberwell; Lambeth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Pre-1846 – Winchester, Post-1845 – London
Rural Deanery: Southwark
Poor Law Union: Camberwell