Great Bookham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1632
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1694
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOOKHAM (Great), a village and a parish in Epsom district, Surrey. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Leatherhead r. station, and 4 NW of Dorking; has a post office under Leatherhead; and formerly had a fair. The parish comprises 3,249 acres. Real property, £6,615. Pop., 1,106. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. Bookham Grove is the seat of the Dawnays; Eastwick House was formerly the seat of the Howards; and Polesden, now the property of Sir Walter R. Farquhar, Bart., belonged to Sheridan. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £340. Patron, Viscount Downe. The church has a monument to Sheriff Slyfield, of the time of Queen Elizabeth; and is good. Charities, £55. The rectory of Ranmore is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Epsom
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Epsom