East Molesey, Surrey Family History Guide

East Molesey is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Surrey, created in 1769 from a chapelry in Kingston upon Thames Ecclesiastical Parish.

Alternative names: East Molesey, East Moulsey

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1668
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Hampton
  • Thames Ditton
  • Esher
  • West Molesey
  • Hampton Wick
  • Walton-on-Thames

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOLESEY, or MOULSEY (EAST), a village and a parish in Kingston district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, at its influx to the Thames, and at Hampton-Court r. station, opposite Hampton-Court palace, 2½ miles WSW of Kingston; takes its name from a quondam "eye ''or island in the Mole,-Moles-Eye; is a scattered and rapidly increasing place; and has a post office under Kingston, London, SW. The parish comprises 730 acres. Real property, £7,028. Pop. in 1851, 765; in 1861, 1,568. Houses, 287. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the purchase of an estate by a Freehold Land Society, and from the erection upon it of about 150 houses. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham and Lady Berkeley. Numerous villas and other genteel houses stud the outskirts of the village and the banks of the Thames. That river abounds here in the beautiful willow-shaded "aits;'' and a level meadow along its side, between East Molesey and West Molesey, bears the name of Molesey Hurst, is famous in the annals of the prizering, and contains the race-course of Hampton races. The press which printed the celebrated Mar-prelate tracts about 1588, called by Fuller the "vagabond press," was first set up at Molesey. A large corn and Saw mill is on the Mole. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £157. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is later English, with large wooden belfry; comprises nave and chancel; and contains a curious brass of Standen, cup-bearer of James I. A section of the parish, called St. Paul's or Kent-Town, was constituted a separate charge in 1856, and had a pop. of 887 in 1861; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £100, in the patronage of F. J. Kent, Esq. There are a slightly endowed national school, alms houses, and charities £104.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records


Online Records (Free)

England, Surrey Parish Registers, 1536-1992


Vision of Britain historical maps


County: Surrey
Civil Registration District: Kingston
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Diocese: Winchester
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Kingston
Hundred: Elmbridge
Province: Canterbury