Crowhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1567
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1763
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROWHURST, a parish in Godstone district, Surrey; on Broad-Mead water and the Southeastern railway, 2½ miles ESE of Godstone r. station, and 9½ E by S of Reigate. Post town, Godstone, under Red Hill. Acres, 2,081. Real property, £1,707. Pop., 211. Houses, 40. The manor belonged, from an early period till the 18th century, to the Gaynesfords; and the manor-house, called Crowhurst Place, now a farm-house, was a stately mansion of the time of Henry VII. Another farm-house was the seat of the Angell family, a mansion of the time of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £65. Patron, the Earl of Cottenham. The church has parts from transition Norman to perpendicular English; and contains brasses of the Gaynesfords. A hollow yew tree in the churchyard measures 30¾ feet in girth at five feet from the ground; and is the largest in the county.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Godstone
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Godstone