Cranleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Alternative names: Cranley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1566
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Calvinist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CRANLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Hambledon district, Surrey. The village stands near the Guildford and Horsham railway, 8 miles SE by S of Guildford; has a station on the railway, a post office under Guildford, and a fair on Whit-Tuesday; and gives the title of Viscount to Earl Onslow. The parish comprises 7,340 acres. Real property, 7,318. Pop., 1,393. Houses, 280. The property is much subdivided. Vacherie, now demolished but still traceable, was the grange of the Brays of Shere; afterwards occupied by Day, the author of "Sandford and Merton." Baynards and Knoll, now farm-houses, were also seats of the Brays. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1,195. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Sapte. The church is a well-restored ancient edifice, with tracery and fine stained windows. A county school or college, in the pointed collegiate style, was erected in 1865, at a cost of £8, 000. Thomas de Granley, Archbishop of Dublin, was a native. The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 32,194. Pop., 7,553. Houses, 1,488.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Hambledon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Hambledon
Hundred: Blackheath (Surrey)