Chobham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1654
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Particular Baptist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Virginia Water
- Long Cross
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHOBHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chertsey district, Surrey. The village stands on Bourn brook, near Bagshot heath and the Basingstoke canal, 3½ miles WNW of Woking r. station, and 5¾ SW of Chertsey; and has a post office under Farnborough Station. The parish comprises 11,536 acres. Real property, £9,659. Pop., 2,098. Houses, 416. The property is subdivided. Chobham Place is the seat of Sir Denis le Marchant. Chobham Park belonged to Chertsey abbey; and was the death-place of Archbishop Heath. The Chobham ridges were the site of a great military encampment from April to August 1853; precurrent to the more permanent encampment of Aldershot. Field works and redoubts, formed at the time of this encampment, may look, not long hence, to be ancient works; the more so that some real antiquities, of the class of Roman camps and roads, are in the vicinity. The surface generally has a bleak appearance; and belongs to the Bagshot sand formation. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Holy Trinity, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £148. Patron, J. Thornton, Esq. The church contains some Norman features. A chapelry at Valley-end was formed in 1867; and is served by a p. curate, with salary of £50. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £25. The sub-d. contains four parishes. Pop., 5, 289.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Chertsey
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Chertsey