Caterham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1543
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CATERHAM, a village and a parish in Godstone district, Surrey. The village stands at the terminus of a branch of the South-eastern railway, 7 miles S by E of Croydon; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post office under Red-Hill. The branch railway deflects from the Brighton line, at Caterham Junction station, 2½ miles S of Croydon; is 4½ miles long; was opened in 1856; and has stations at Kenley and Warlingham. An omnibus runs from Caterham station to Westerham. The parish comprises 2,460 acres. Real property, £2,997. Pop., 815. Houses, 146. The property is much subdivided. The Roman vicinal way, called Stane-street, went through the parish; and ancient works, indicative of warlike operations, are in it, near a place called War coppice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £255. Patron, the Rev. J. L. Hesse. The church is mainly early English. The p. curacy of Caterham Valley is a separate charge, and was constituted in 1866. The Warehousemen and Clerks' Orphan asylum, reported to be in Caterham, but really in Beddington, was built in 1865 at a cost of about £20,000; is in the Venetian Gothic style; and has accommodation for 150 boys and girls.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Godstone
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Godstone