Carshalton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Surrey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1692
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CARSHALTON, pronounced Casehorton or Cayshorton, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Epsom district,. Surrey. The village stands near the river Wandle and the Epsom railway, 3 miles W by S of Croydon; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London, S. It was known at Domesday as Aulton; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 2,904 acres. Real property, £14,178. Pop., 2,538. Houses, 492. The property is subdivided. Carshalton Park was formerly the seat of Sir N. Throckmorton, Dr. Radcliffe and the Scawens; and is now occupied by James Aitken, Esq. The parish is watered by the Wandle and its head streams; and has flour, paper, oil, and snuff mills. A spring, overarched with stone, close to the churchyard, is traditionally associated with Queen Anne Boleyn, and bears her name. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £875. Patron, Albert Cator, Esq. The church is early English, much altered, but in good condition; and contains a remarkable brass of Sheriff Gaynesford, who died in 1490, and three elaborate monuments of last century. There are gas works, a police station, a British school, a national school, an infant school, and charities £58. The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 12,119. Pop., 8,341. Houses, 1,451.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
Civil Registration District: Epsom
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Ewell
Poor Law Union: Epsom